Our North Korea Practice group, which is currently comprised of ten attorneys, has been engaged in virtually all of the important North Korea-related projects over the past several years, including the two major projects such as Gaesung Industrial Complex Development Project and Mount Keumkang Development Project, which involves diverse legal and policy issues arising from the inter-Korean relations.
The North Korea Practice group is representing and advising both the government of Korea and the developer officially designated by the North Korean government, Hyundai Asan. The North Korea Practice group has also been representing and advising the foreign companies in their business negotiations with North Korean counterparts.
The expertise of the North Korea Practice Group encompasses the following:
• North Korean legal system and its laws
• Legal issues coming out of the Inter-Korean relations
• Foreign investment into North Korea
• Joint ventures with North Korean companies
• Energy and other infra-structure development
• North Korea Insurance system and related insurance issues
• Dispute resolution
• Gaesung Industrial Complex Development Project-related legal issues
• Mt. Keumkang Development Project-related legal issues
• Legal issues relating to Technical Assistance of international organizations
• Legal research on the legal aspects of the Korean unification
The North Korea Practice group has published the books and reports including the book titled “Gaesung Industrial Complex Law and Regulations,” and “A Plan to Establish the Legal Infra-structure in Preparation of the Unification of Korea.”
Key Partners of the group have acted as advisors to the Korean government, especially the Ministry of Unification, the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of the Legislation, and several private entities.